Swings, Roundabouts and other Cliches

I sometimes worry that my blog posts are a bit like those sympathy-vote back stories they do for X-Factor contestants. Not least because I find myself thinking of words like ‘rollercoaster’ and ‘journey’. Inescapable really but do feel free to pick me up on any excessive superlatives as I continue to keep you all updated.

The last few weeks have brought both amazing development and further illness. Mojo picked up a very un-remarkable tummy bug which lead to very standard vomiting. The problem for us of course, is that when you spend your life obsessing about calories, weight gain and more importantly sodium levels even one day of sickness can cause serious problems. We did have to walk the tightrope of potential hospital admission for four days which was tough. Naturally as soon as she started to recover and we looked back, four days/nights really wasn’t long at all. I mean it’s nothing. Suddenly the twice daily calls to the (unendingly patient) complex care nurse are a bit embarrassing.

In her inimitable style Mojo has bounced back twice as strong, with a huge increase in her capacity for milk and while her appetite is still non-existant for food when she was weighed recently she has infact put on weight and now is almost on the centiles. It will be nice when her weight doesn’t have a < sign before it.

My favourite new development comes to us thanks to the portage and physio team who have been working on Mojo’s use of her hands. This has been really very effective and with plenty of practice her hands have found each other. That might sound strange if you don’t know how difficult she has found it to start using her hands and it’s a developmental step that I doubt parents of developmentally conventional children even notice but as with all milestones this is a big deal for us. Aside from the joy of the development it also has the added bonus of significant comedy value as I watch my very own teeny tiny Bond villain plotting her world domination from the high chair. The concentration on her face combined with the slow open and close of her hands around each other is amazingly funny. Ahh meester Bond I see you av brawt me my meelk.

Maybe you have to be there.

Finally three things have gone by recently which I drafted amazing blogs about and never finished (see aforementioned vomit week), International Women’s Day, Mothers Day and Holoprosencephaly awareness week. To summarise three half blogs worth of deep and meaningful musings. Mothers are amazing, my mother is especially amazing, being a mother is amazing, even more amazing when you are a mother to a child with HPE. HPE has brought some amazing women & mothers into my life most of whom I have never and will never meet as they live on the other side of the world however their support and the sincerity of their concern for us is vital to my sanity and I value it immensely.

7 thoughts on “Swings, Roundabouts and other Cliches”

1. Portage were amazing with my son ~ fingers crossed they will continue to be for Imogen as well! I love the phrase you've used ~ developmentally conventional ~ can I borrow it?
    It's fantastic when you can see they've worked something out ~ I clearly remember Smiler making eye contact for the first time (drs said he never would due to weird brain structure/defects/etc)!
    Gotta love proving those drs wrong!
    Lucas

2. A lot of thanks for each of your hard work on this web page. Kim really likes going through investigation and it’s really easy to understand why. Many of us know all of the dynamic method you make powerful strategies on this web blog and as well as improve participation from people on that issue so our girl is in fact learning a lot of things. Have fun with the remaining portion of the new year. You are conducting a really good job.

3. I needed to post you the tiny remark to be able to thank you over again on your pretty suggestions you have provided on this page. It was really strangely open-handed with you to make unhampered precisely what many people would’ve offered for sale for an ebook to get some money for themselves, particularly now that you might have tried it in case you desired. These strategies in addition served to be the good way to know that some people have the identical interest really like my personal own to learn much more when considering this matter. I believe there are several more pleasant sessions in the future for many who read through your site.

4. I’m commenting to let you be aware of of the amazing discovery my child developed browsing the blog. She came to find many issues, not to mention what it’s like to have a wonderful giving mindset to have many people quite simply grasp chosen hard to do subject areas. You really exceeded our expectations. Many thanks for giving the insightful, healthy, educational and as well as easy thoughts on the topic to Jane.

5. A lot of thanks for all your efforts on this site. Gloria enjoys engaging in investigation and it’s easy to understand why. Almost all know all concerning the dynamic means you deliver great items on the web blog and as well encourage contribution from other people on that concern plus our daughter is actually being taught a lot. Have fun with the remaining portion of the new year. You’re the one conducting a glorious job.

6. I precisely had to say thanks all over again. I’m not certain the things I could possibly have created in the absence of the actual creative ideas discussed by you concerning such concern. It absolutely was a real depressing concern for me personally, but considering a new professional fashion you handled it forced me to cry for delight. I’m grateful for the assistance and as well , expect you comprehend what a powerful job that you are carrying out educating men and women by way of a web site. I am certain you’ve never come across all of us.

7. I’m just commenting to let you be aware of of the exceptional discovery my cousin’s child enjoyed going through your blog. She discovered a wide variety of details, most notably how it is like to have a very effective coaching heart to get many more effortlessly fully understand certain extremely tough matters. You actually did more than my desires. I appreciate you for displaying such great, healthy, educational and also cool guidance on that topic to Evelyn.